Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Last Winter (Becky)

This artwork impressed me a lot at the first sight. It is named “Last Winter” and made from gas space heater, wire, rust, paint, wood, muslin, plaster and glass beads. From the photo, you can notice that the upper part of the artwork is a “tree” made from wire, rust and glass beads. Though there are no leaves on the tree. It still gets little “buds” on each branch. Below the tree is a small and old gas space heater. The roots of the tree, which are also made from wires, stretch themselves to both the outside and inside of the heater. It seems that the tree just grew from the heater.
 
When I first saw it, the rust made me feel a little sad. Then I noticed its name “Last winter” and considered it as the final winter, which made me think of death in winter and get much more negative mood. When talked with Marianne about this, she appreciated my thought and told me that she wanted to remind us with the memory of our previous winter memory. That really makes sense when I went right back to the artwork and observed it again. The color of the heater and all the grains on it make it like a rock. And it is also a used heater in winter. Meanwhile, the tree is similar to a tree in winter. Imaging that I sit on the chair by a heater, looking at a bare tree out of the window, I started to recall my memory of my last winter.
 
Art is full of imagination and everyone may have his or her own opinion on an artwork. Marianne focuses on human beings’ daily life and uses her imagination to create her art. These masterpieces tell visitors one story after another, which is both special and common in our day to day lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment