Wednesday, August 6, 2014

27,000 breaths by Rebecca

The following piece of artwork is one of my favorite in the gallery. Its name is 27,000 breaths. There are two main parts of it, just like the picture I took today showing. The first important component is an old sewer machine being placed on a table, just above the sewer machine, there is a 27,000 inches red bias tape hanging on the wall. Why is 27,000 inches, instead of 17,000 or any other length? Because one person a day will breathe 27,000 times totally, and one breath matches one inch of this red bias tape, so we have this 27,000 tape. It represents a length of day, and also a length of life. I was deeply impressed by this, and it makes me rethink about my daily life. One day time, it can be short because there is only 24 hours equally to everyone. One day time, it can also be very long, matching 27,000 inches tape. We should make full use of everyday life.

What’s more, this old sewer machine reminded me of my grandfather. There is a similar sewer machine reserved in my family, used to belong to my grandpa before he passed away. Usually it’s women’s job to make clothes using this kind of machine, but in my family my grandpa really was good at this. I still remember his shadow on the ground when he sewing some toys for me in the midnight. I really miss my grandfather a lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment